Lemon Meringue Pie Treats by @chocolateforbasil
1 heaping cup slivered almonds soaked and softened
1/4 cup almond milk
2 tbsp maple syrup or coconut syrup
3 tbsp meyer lemon juice
3 tsp meyer lemon zest
1/8 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 cup shelled pecan pieces
1/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1 tsp maple syrup or coconut syrup
salt to taste
1 cup coconut cream
2 tbsp coconut suagr finely ground
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
Make the Crust
1. In a food processor, pulse together the pecans, coconut flakes, syrup and salt until it forms a chunky paste. Divide and press the mixture into the bottom of a muffin tin (or I used small plastic cups which were much easier to cut away from the frozen pie). Set aside.
Grind the Sugar
1. After emptying the food processor, add the sugar, and grind until it’s very fine, almost like a powder. Transfer to a small bowl, and set aside.
Make the Filling
1. In the food processor combine all the ingredients, the soaked almonds, almond milk, syrup, lemon juice, lemon zest, and turmeric. Blend until smooth. Divide the mixture, and spoon over the crust. Freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
Make the Coconut Meringue
1. In a medium bowl, combine the coconut and coconut sugar. Spoon half of the mixture into another bowl, and stir in the turmeric powder. In a piping bag with a fitted tip, add the turmeric coconut cream to one side and the plain coconut cream to the other. Squeeze the cream down from the top of the bag just until cream starts to ooze out of the tip. Place in the fridge to set up until the pies are done.
2. When the pies are ready, remove them from the freezer and take the piping bag from the fridge and allow to defrost for a couple minutes. Then pipe decorations onto the pies and garnish with a little sprinkling of lemon zest and turmeric, and serve! Enjoy! #letscookvegan
Shared by letscookvegan (Let’s Cook Vegan) and selected for Food.