photograph by @susanseubert // The Kalaupapa Peninsula located on the north shore of the island of Molokai is isolated from topside Molokai by 2000′ tall sea cliffs. It was first established as a colony for people with Hansen’s Disease, or leprosy, in 1866 by King Kemehameha V when there was no treatment available and it was considered highly contagious. It took until 1969 for the island prison to be repealed. Today, the town is accessible only by mule, hiking or airplane. @natgeotravel @natgeocreative #molokai #hawaii #kalaupapa Follow @susanseubert for more!
Shared by natgeotravel (National Geographic Travel) and selected for Featured.