The small gas kiln, packed and ready to fire. I took this photograph a few weeks ago and a number of these pots have found their way out into the world by now. It was a much more successful firing than the previous, being able to do two firings in quick succession was very helpful as it meant I could try packing it in a different way immediately afterwards, in an attempt to improve the results, while all the information was fresh in my mind – rather than trying to fix it in a firing a few weeks down the line.
These are all crackle glazed pots, with either a white, green or dark green. Before this firing I would place the pots arbitrarily, colour wise, on each shelf. The reds and pinks become the green hues after they’ve been fired. The darkest glaze seems to be able to handle the heat and oxidation without being spoilt too much, the light green and the white on the other hand don’t look nearly as good. From now on I’ll pack this kiln in a gradient, with the dark green pots taking up the righthand side, near the burners, transitioning over to the green and then the whites towards the left. It made quite some difference, with nowhere near as many seconds emerging, moreover it looks better visually, for taking photographs.
My photographs have proved useful for informing myself, reminding me how I packed a certain kiln, where a specific pot was placed inside or how I made a particular form. It’s become a vast library of tens of thousands of pictures and choosing which to post each day can be a problematic task in itself.
I aim to fire this at least twice more in preparation for our open studio in December. I’ll have a selection of new shapes to try along with a few teapots and hopefully some ink dip pens too, if all goes to plan.
Shared by floriangadsby (Florian Gadsby) and selected for Art.